Monday, March 16, 2009

What is it about the beach?

I am convinced that heaven will have many beach like qualities. Every time I am there I get this very strange feeling...that I'm at home, that I'm alive, that life is good...it's unexplainable. I feel like a cover girl when I'm on the beach...easy, breezy, beautiful, even if in actuality, I'm a gritty, windblown mess, I can't help but feel beautiful when I'm on the beach. We went to a couple of beaches on the California coast and the weather wasn't particularly nice. The sky was overcast, at times it drizzled and the wind was brisk...but that didn't change anything for me. I know that having the kids with me really adds to the experience. There is nothing like a frolicking child, frantic with excitement to give you a good dose of healthy perspective.



There is much more to this story. The reason I found myself on a beach in California is because the kids and I traveled to Palm Springs to see my Aunt and my Grandma to spend some time with them before traveling to McNeal, Arizona to reunite with Zach. What ended up happening, was my sweet sister Emily AND my sweet sister Katy (who is currently living in Italy) were both able to not only join the kids and I in Palm Springs, but they were able to book tickets on the very same flight, AK to CA. Their seats were right next to ours! My sweet baby sister Susie had responsibilities she could not get out of (We missed you so much Susie!)
The week we had together was such a gift from the Father. While we were there together I realized that I have never really spent quality time with my sisters since we have all become adults. The time we spend together is usually in a mass of people and chaos as is the norm for Miller family gatherings. It was extra special because Emily is about to become a mommy in April and Katy is right behind her, Due in July. With Katy returning to Italy and our family moving to the Philippines within the year, it may not happen again for some time. God arranged a special rondevous just for us. A few days after Emily left to return to Ak, Katy and I borrowed Grandma's car and drove to the coast. Our only purpose was to find a beach and spend the day on it. It was such a blessed day.

(I would have pictures of us sisters together, but I am waiting for them to be sent...hint hint :)

4 comments:

April said...

I'm jealous - sun, some warmth, beach - all in winter. We've continued to have sun, low temps, snow, ice & some more wind now :). I'm glad you had such a beautiful, wonderful time with your sisters & got a trip to the beach in too.

Sarah said...

We miss you guys, Jane! And HEY! Those ARE bubbles in the Tovie picture, aren't they??

The Keller Troop said...

Yes :) I almost always have bubbles with me - especially if we are going to the beach. They really enhance the experience. The kids love to chase them.

Sally said...

Sister are basically "it." There are fights and disagreements (well at least on this side of cousindom) and there is laughter and fun and lots of it. I love hanging with Leah and talking about how strange Mom is. I love watching Anne paint. I love hanging out and making muffins. I love that no explanation is needed about things that have happened in the past... we just know. We were there. For all of it.

Also, that top picture of you and the kids on the beach? So fabulous. Totally frame-able.