Monday, March 16, 2009

Heeeerrre Moosey, Moosey, Moosey!


I had the wonderful opportunity to go hunting with my honey this past fall. We have been married 10 years and many moose hunts have come and gone but this was my very first. It was unbelievable! Zach's brother Matt flew me out in his super cub and dropped me off on a sandbar next to where Zach had already set up camp. He had been out in the wilderness for several days and needed some company...so he sent for me. We spent the night next to the river, surrounded by giant mountains that looked even more intimidating as the sun set. I remember looking around feeling very small and insignificant. It was hard to sleep...I was way too aware of every sound and I kept hearing strange bumps that I couldn't identify. Finally, I had to wake my dead asleep husband and he told me that the sounds were rocks rolling and bumping together as they were pushed by the river current. Even with this new information I couldn't sleep. He woke up early and we started off. I get giddy just thinking about it. You know that feeling you get when you are silently hiding behind a door, ready and waiting to pounce on the next person to walk by...I had that feeling all day long. It was so fun. We climbed around the mountainside all day. We would stop...listen...pick blueberries...stare at the magnificence that surrounded us...and sometimes drift off. It was sunny and warm and the smell of the air was heavenly. Alaska foliage in the fall is by far one of the best smells and there are so many memories wrapped up in the scent for me. Now there is one more.

Ok...so we are moose hunting, and this is serious business, no fun and games. I'm sure if Zach was able to write his own interpretation he would write more about tracking and strategy, and the difficulty of the hunt. It was hard work but I think we would both agree that there wasn't a person alive we would rather be spending this marvelous day with. We never got our guy. There was evidence all around and we came very close. We spotted two cows and a bull just beyond some trees, but when Zach "glassed" him (I feel so silly using hunting slang) he decided that it was just too hard to tell if he was legal and he didn't want to take the risk. Right after he turned to me and said, "I bet there is a big one around here...but he must be right out of view. They tend to group together..." we heard a two grunt warning call and this monster of a moose stood up and took off like a shot. We tried to find him but never did. Even though we didn't get the prize, I am so glad I was able to experience the exhilaration of the hunt and be enlightened to one of my husbands greatest joys.


No comments: